Monday, March 22, 2010

Korea...will you ever let me leave?

So the last few weeks have been a little insane for me here in Korea.  I was sent an email telling me that I needed  to make my decision if I would stay in Korea and teach longer or go back to the States.  Well it took me about a month to make my final decision.  As many of you know, I've really struggled with what I want to do. Do I want to go back to the States?  Do I want to travel more?  Do I want to stay in Korea?  Well I am a very indecisive person. Which means, I had made my "final" decision about 10 times and each "final decision" was a new idea. I had NO clue what to do.  One thing I do know is that everyday at school I laugh A LOT.  Imagine a really funny middle schooler you know.  Now, think about how awkward they are. Their pants are never long enough, they are clutsy, and they are constantly making awkward comments, or comments that don't make sense to anyone else but themselves.  Well, imagine this person. Now, take them into a classroom with a foreigner, in which having a foreign teacher really isn't the norm, and have them all trying their best to make all these awkward comments in a second language.  It's pretty hilarious.  This is my everyday life.  Needless to say, even though I've said it already, I laugh a lot.  Even though some days are better than others, no matter what, there is at least one student who will completely crack me up...everyday.

My other option, that I was mulling over in my head. Go back home, go back to school, see what happens.  Now this option was appealing to me.  I love my family so much and I really, really miss them.  The idea of going to TJ Maxx w/ grams, or waking up on a Saturday and going to the North Market w/ mom and dad and then meeting Rae for lunch and a movie.  That sounds AMAZING.  I miss those times so much.  What I wouldn't give to go for a GREAT cup of coffee and some amazing Thai food at the North Market, while sitting outside watching some musicians play their instruments.  I really do miss those times.
It was a hard decision for me.  But, I've come to one realization.  I am 22 years old.  When I tell my students how old I am, they are shocked. Most people believe that I am too young to be a teacher.  I've thought about going back home, finding a job, and just living everyday life.  But, I know that I will have the rest of my life to do that.  Currently, I am living a dream of mine.  It has been a dream to travel the world and see as many countries/cultures as I can.  Honestly, I want the jobs of Anthony Bourdain or Samantha Brown, but that probably won't happen. (If anyone affliated w/ the travel channel is reading this blog, please email me..i would love to speak with you about job opportunties) :)  So if living in a different country and teaching really funny kids is as close to a job w/ the travel channel that I will ever get, I am okay with that.

So for the final decision...the real final decision.  I was supposed to come home in August.  But, I have extended my contract till December.  This will allow me to be home for Christmas time, which will be wonderful.  That gives me 9 more months here in Korea.  Currently, I am studying my Korean everyday.  I figured me being here for 9 more months means that I need to get out of survival Korea stage and really try to learn this language.  It's a hard one to learn too!! Hopefully by the time I leave, I will be able to at least understand a little bit of what is going on around me.  I am unsure if staying till December will turn into just staying a few more months or what will happen there.  But for now, I am content with my decision.  I am excited for this school year with my students.  I really do miss everyone back home, but realize I am happy and doing what I've always wanted to do. I am seeing the world!  It's exciting. I will do my best to keep up with this blog.  I have some funny pics. of students I will put up on here soon.  

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy to think about when we were in high school, and we would talk about what we wanted to do when we were adults...it's so awesome you're actually getting to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete